Monday, October 1, 2012

KCWC: Guest Post and Planning


Today I'm guest posting at Elsie Marley with a simple tutorial on how to make Dana's kid pants pattern into color-blocked fashion statements. Find it right here.

I'm pretty excited to be a part of KCWC this year! If you don't know what that is, then you must be new here. And by "here" I don't mean ALG, I mean the whole sewing internet subculture thingy.

It's Kid's Clothing Week Challenge, and Meg from Elsie Marley puts it on every spring and fall. The idea is to spend at least an hour a day for a whole week sewing for your kids. Which is, in fact, a challenge. Even for someone like me who sews a little almost every day (maybe 5 out of 8, just to give a ratio that makes no sense and is not actually ratio), it's a marathon. There's also the photographing and blogging to attempt to keep up with. But you don't want to miss that part because there is SO much inspiration and such a feeling of community. It's pretty giant. But there is no blog required, just join the Flickr group. And don't forget to sign up for KCWC so there is a good count of the hoards of crazed sewing moms participating. Do that by leaving a comment on this post. Simple. Hurry though, because it starts next week!





In the spring during the last KCWC, I was competing in PR&P so I didn't get to join in. But last fall, I planned and cut almost all my garments the week before it actually began. That made the sewing part go much more successfully, and I'm hoping to get some serious cutting time in this week. I've already got my stack going and patterns assigned. I'm really trying to sew mostly for Elsie since Hendrix has been getting all the new handmades lately.

The one thing missing from the stack above is fabric for her new coat. I'm going with this pattern, which I've seen several cute versions of, but this one by straight grain clenched it for me.


Now I realize that is a really ambitious list for one week. I'm realistic that I won't get to all of it. But I'm also hopeful because I've had the stars aligned for me and my parents happen to be taking the kids to FL next week. Yes, both of the kids, all week. Besides KCWC-ing, I will also be working extra hours and going to the Reds playoffs games, (WOOOOHOO!) and possibly descending into a deep depression from missing my kids. Ok, probably not on that last one. I'll have to just sew my tushy off to distract myself.






15 comments:

  1. Okay, I cannot believe that you get a week with no kids, plus you get to work extra hours at an awesome fabric store, plus you get to go to playoff games? You are going to be living my dream week, if only it was the (crappy) Red Sox instead of the Reds.

    I can't wait to see the cool stuff you churn out! I hope to one day make kids' clothes even half as awesome as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the Reds games (whatevs) you will be living my dream life. Well no. In truth I go a little batty on about day 3 of no kids, as I found out in Frisco recently. BUT STILL. Oooooh the sewing time! Enjoy and you'd better make all of the things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO ONE CALLS IT FRISCO, KRISTIN. STOP IT NOW.

      Delete
  3. Sinking in a week of depression. Right. LOL. I feel like when I have the joy of expecting my second, I'll be like, "Mom, pleeeeease take them for a week." Okay, well I don't know from personal experience. I've not been a single night without my Layla. You enjoy that time, Jessica! I'm betting you'll get every bit of your to-do list done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an amazing looking stack! And I say that as a woman who is now, at quarter to midnight, still tracing patterns and cutting out. That's right -- I'm taking a break to look at other people's KCWC plans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those color block pants are so RAD! I just love all the styles you create for your kids! (pants are on my to sew list for my son, II think I just found my inspiration)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those black and blue pants are to die for. I really need to try that some day for my colour loving little boy! Thank you for the inspiration, I'm happy I found your site through Elsie Marley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great week ahead! Your kids are so lucky to have you sewing for them like this. I wonder how they'll look back on it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. you lucky devil! Can't wait to see the coat you make. Last winter I made Violet an uncut corduroy peacoat from DMK, and it was super cute. There was supposed to be one for Clover too, but the fabric seems to still be sitting in my pile....

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make the coolest kiddo clothes. Truly! Love those color block pants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you will miss your kids, but you'll also be having so much fun sewing and working that it will speed by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so curious about your version of the double breasted coat! It's a great pattern really, can't go wrong! Thanks for referring to my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - that's a very girly pile for you! I can't wait to see what you whip up. That coat is ADORABLE. I'm seriously considering adding it to my already way too long list. $6 pattern? How can I pass that up!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. woooooooooo!!!! kid free sewing week! i'm so so so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seriously love those color blocked pants! You rock.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.