Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thank you and a Tutorial

Wow, thank you SO much to everyone who voted for my look this week in Project Run and Play! I won the first challenge, which is so crazy to me.

To be honest, when the Simple Simon girls first asked me to participate in the contest a couple of months ago, I was positive they had sent that email to the wrong person. My blog has been mostly quilting focused for the last 9 months or so, with the exception of the Oliver & S sew-along and a few random projects I made for my kids. Still, I considered myself very much an amateur at garment making, and I could think of 3 dozen other bloggers that would have been better in Project Run and Play.

But now that I have actually tried my very best and won one of the weeks, I feel so excited and confident that part of me thinks I should just quit while I'm ahead. "Thanks folks! I'm out!"  :)

But a bigger part of me is very competitive and has tasted a small victory... I'm in it to win it now friends, I'll make no qualms about it. Maybe I miss college volleyball more than I thought I did.

But the competition is fierce. Everyone is SO creative and talented. We'll see what happens from here, but I'm having so much fun! (Even if it is really intense and kind of stressful fun. Sometimes that's the best kind... you know, if you are slightly insane.)

So anyway, there is a tutorial up today on PR&P about how I pieced the chevron circle skirt. I also explained the much more practical skill of making an encased elastic waistband with a facing, so check it out here.





I will tell you that one thing I'm nervous about for next week is that I have lost this adorable model. Lily and her family are going to Disney World (jealous) which means I will have to sew for Elsie. Making for my own daughter should have me excited, but I'm a bit terrified of her small round body and weird baby proportions. I'll figure it out though.


For this coming weekend's look, I got to sew for Hendrix, which I'm much more comfortable with. I can't wait to show you! Stay tuned for Friday...






13 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you won! If you need another, slightly taller model, I have a 3yr old niece and a 5yr old niece that love posing for pictures. Also, I'm slightly biased, but I think they're at least as cute as Nathan's little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Can't wait fo rmore! You're welcome to borrow Gabby if you need her. Size 2t. She's stubborn and won't pose for cameras, consider it an extra challenge ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Congratulations - the outfit is ADORABLE! I'd like one in my size, please. Do not ask me for measurements.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay yay yay! This is really so rad, and now actually feels doable based on your fantastic tutorial. Thanks, girl! Good luck this week (not that you need it)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. woo-hoooooo!! and i do have some slightly larger models if you need to borrow one. (sizes 3t and 7)

    ReplyDelete
  7. super super super congratulations!!! i am so excited for you! very well deserved win! i can't wait to see your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations - your skirt was a stunner. You got my vote and your win was well deserved. Go Go Go Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute skirt and blouse for a beautiful girl! I have been making some little girl clothes but my little girls are now 28 and 30. I use to make their clothes all the time and just wanted to make something different than the quilts and tooth fairy pillow and things I've been making. I've doing a give away for one of the Tooth Fairy Pillows on Wed. for people who join and comment on my blog. Come by and join me. www.sewcraftykathy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'm not surprised you won, what a fabulous skirt!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.