Friday, April 27, 2012

PR&P Week 3: Sheet to Chic

This week the Project Run & Play theme is Earth Day. The challenge involved using all Earth-friendly materials. 

The journey of making this little outfit took approximately 18 twists and turns over the last week. Kristin and I keep talking about how we can totally understand how the designers on Project Runway get so dramatic and crazy. That was me this week. (As if this is even near the amount of pressure they feel. They get like 3 hours to make couture and they have to do it on camera. I'm totally crying them a river.) Anyway, I like where it ended up, but MAN I'm I glad to be done with it!

First I thought I would just go the thrift store and find some materials I would be inspired by. I went to one Goodwill, felt pressure to leave because of my kids being crazy, and just grabbed a couple things. When I got home I realized I hated them- what was I thinking? Wasting $15 on old clothes you don't want to use is not a good spur to creativity. (Goodwill is so expensive lately!)




So I decided it would actually be more of a challenge to make something beautiful out of a grody old sheet that was in my closet. I didn't want it to look "upcycled" from old clothes, but I wanted it to be stylish and little vintage-inspired.






Then I saw this photo here. I loved it. I don't know how they did that effect on the bodice but it's pretty crazy awesome. I figured I had a whole lot of fabric with a sheet right? So I'll just make a boat load of tiny 1/8" bias tape and do it that way. Hmm. Not as fun as it sounds. 






As you can see, my embellishment does not really live up the original. I don't think it was bias cut fabric they used, because I certainly could not make it behave that way. So please don't think my design lame after seeing the original, but this is how inspiration works I guess. It's always fun to see where people's ideas come from. 

The color of the dress was also not my original intention. I had to use color remover on the sheet, which started as dingy blue/gray. Then I bought "grapefruit" fabric dye. I thought it would be much brighter than this. I even dyed it again and it was still pretty pale. It took me a good two or three days to cope with this color, but now I love it. It fits the baby and fits the dress. 




Once I coped with the color, I had to throw in some fabrics that were more "me," and I think they all play nicely together. The lining and underskirt are Berry Bush, from Cloud 9 organic fabrics. It's from Sewn Studio of course. Sewn actually has a pretty nice little selection of organic cottons, which is really nice to have available. The leggings are from an old knit top of mine from Urban Outfitters that I hadn't worn in forever. The color and print are so cool. I love these leggings and she'll be wearing them a lot. (You can't see in the picture, but there is actually a wolf on her left leg. What is with me and the wolves??)




The buttons are my favorite favorites. They are for reals vintage from my mom's grandmother's collection.  They make the whole thing feel special. And the pin on the shoulder is the perfect accent. I bought it at a local boutique, the Spotted Goose




Here's a nice picture of me looking blurry and concerned about a half-second before Elsie fell on her face during the photo shoot because she was running around so fast. Nope, wait, that's not why... it was because I bought her shoes for this outfit that were too small and they made her fall. That's why she is mostly shoeless in the pictures. Just do me a favor and imagine her wearing some amazing vintage white leather moccasins that we have but were also too small for her little potato feet. Geez babies, it's hard to keep you eco-fashionable with all the constant growing. 


By the way, Elsie's daddy took the pictures this time. Aren't they fantastic? 

Vote for your favorite Earth Day look right here








31 comments:

  1. you got my vote - - I LOVE LOVE LOVE using sheets in sewing - so much yardage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!! beautiful!! all of your hard work definitely worked!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not gonna lie-- I'm kind of distracted by that adorable model. :) But the dress is wonderful! And those buttons!!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this - you got my vote. What about a tute on how to do those bias strips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bias strips are a great detail - love them! I would've have wasted a lot of time figuring out how to pleat a top like that before bias tape dawned on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your dress is nicer than the inspiration piece. I love the fun buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really awesome - I love it and what awesome pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i voted and you are in first! lets make it a clean sweep! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful! The dress is so sweet and pretty! I can understand that it was quite a process getting to the finished product, but you really nailed it :)

    And Elsie is so cute. So much personality in this girl. Good luck this round!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you are killing it in this competition. Your's has been the stand out each week in my opinion, even though the other outfits are all really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! It looks great, and your little one is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, jessica, the bias tape is amazing! and i love the floral slip coming out the bottom. darling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a lot of work! But soooo worth it... the dress is adorable! (Almost as adorable as its model!) Your bias tape trim is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute - love the bodice details! And I think the color is perfect for such a sweet little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. seriously. I love it. the colors are awesome together too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the pictures are indeed awesome, as are you :) and i love me some Elsie!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the detail on the top is super duper!! I voted and you are in the lead right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! The dress (and the model!) The bias detail is super sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful work (again!) I love the vintage buttons - it is a lovely way for your daughter to wear your family's history.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the bias detail on the dress, and the color - at least from the pictures - looks very soft & sweet... and what a cutie pie she is!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are totally rocking PR&P! Go you! Love the variety of buttons on the back of this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE this look, Jessica. It's the perfect combination of sexy and cute...I MEAN...sweet and wearable! ;) YOU WOULD with the wolf leggings, too. Sheesh. My fave is that photo of you with obvious concern written all over your body language as your little gal beams in the foreground. :) Tell your man nice work on the photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Soooo, tell me again why Nick thought he couldn't take pictures? These are better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, what a beautiful dress on your gorgeous gal!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gosh I love the pale color of the dress especially mixed with all the cute buttons on the back. I think its perfect just like it is! And so creative! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love everything about this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The pictures are incredible, and the dress is darling. Also, you consistently crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm guessing I'm too late to vote since I couldn't find the right place. Darn! But I LOVE what you've done. The buttons and rosette are really excellently done and I don't like overly fussy stuff. So, clearly I mean to say it's NOT fussy.

    I totally get the going crazy with sewing stress thing. Trying to ward it off now as I prepare for Handstitched...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, it turned out great! She is so beautiful and her skinny jeans are killing me with cuteness!!

    velvetcupcakes

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.